On May 9, 1922 the charter for Silver Spring Lodge No. 215 was approved by the Most Worshipful Grandmaster (MWGM) of Maryland, Warren S. Seipp. On May 27, 1922 a special communication of the Grand Lodge of Maryland was held in Silver Spring and MWGM Seipp, assisted by the Grand Line officers, constituted and instituted Silver Spring Lodge No. 215. The first Worshipful Master was Robert Murphy, a Past Master (PM) of Chevy Chase.
Early meetings met at a house on the corner of Georgia and Thayer Avenues until November 8, 1926 when the lodge moved to Woodside United Methodist Church (now Silver Spring United Methodist Church). The lodge’s first permanent home was a custom built, 3-floor, Masonic Temple as the intersection of Georgia and Wayne Avenues in Downtown Silver Spring. The cornerstone was laid with Masonic ceremonies on June 18, 1927. This building is still standing and is currently occupied by La Madeline Café.
In 1961 and 1962, Silver Spring’s Worshipful Master from 1930, Martin H. Kinsinger, served as Most Worshipful Grand Master of Maryland.
In the late 1960’s and throughout the 1970’s, focus was placed on determining how to most appropriately renovate our aging 1920’s era building or find a new location to build a new masonic temple.
On Jun 23, 1980 the brothers of Silver Spring Lodge held their last meeting at the temple on Georgia and Wayne Avenues. Meetings were held at Wheaton Lodge No. 228 until the new temple was completed.
The cornerstone of the new Silver Spring Masonic Temple was laid on October 30, 1982 and on March 14, 1983 we held our first meeting at our temple at 410 University Boulevard West in the Four Corners area of Silver Spring. A few years later, the National Children’s Center opened a school on the temples first floor, which provides educational opportunities to special needs children. In 2012, Silver Spring No. 215 celebrated our 90th anniversary with a special banquet for masons around the county and their families. Only 2 years later, on June 25, 2014 an electrical fire destroyed the lodge’s meeting room and forced Silver Spring to find a temporary home thanks to the gracious offer of support from Montgomery-Cornerstone Lodge in Rockville, MD.
Silver Spring Masonic Temple has now been rebuilt and reopened in 2015.
John Phillip Hilderbrand Sr.
Justin Alan Sayre
Timothy Kyle Sheils
Dan Brendan Lane Jr.
Dan Brendan Lane Sr.
Joel Lewis Nathan
James T Rutherford, Jr
Harold A. Garren, PM, WM
Among many distinguished Grand Lodge officers, Silver Spring Lodge has included other important masons among its members.
The Illustrious C. Fred Kleinknect 33°, Sovereign Grand Commander of the Scottish Rite for 18 years, began his masonic career in Silver Spring Lodge in 1949 and was member until his death in 2011.
- Richard “Dick” Fletcher MWPGM of Vermont who served over 20 years as Executive Secretary of the Masonic Service Association and is an affiliated Past Master.
- Past Masters Richard and Robert Bergmann were both business leaders in the family-owned chain Bergmann’s Cleaning Company which has numerous locations in the Washington, DC and Baltimore areas.
Lieutenant General Bernhard T. Mittemeyer served 28 years in the US Army he retired as Army Surgeon General. He also served as Commanding General of Water Reed Army Medical Center and The Dr. Bernhard T. Mittemeyer Urology Clinic at Texas Tech is named in his honor.
- The Honorable Edward A. Beard, Associate Judge, the Superior Court of the District of Columbia was a member of our lodge.
- Johnny Batchelder, a long-time radio and TV sports announcer for Washington Senators games was a member.
- Former Washington Redskins player, Dexter Manley was initiated in Silver Spring Lodge.